A Local Feel


Not just today, but everyday, every tour, every local, every Uber driver, every cashier has an amazing love for the city that they live in. I complain often about living in Illinois, especially Peoria. Through disastrous hurricanes, scorching summers, the unique culture and the diversity the city has experienced, you would think that this would separate a city but here it has done the exact opposite. The history of New Orleans is what I think makes New Orleans such an amazing place. You go to Peoria and no one talks about the history of the city or the state of Illinois. You are reminded of the history and the importance of it to the city, daily. The reminders are through stories, statues, the architecture. New Orleans is a huge tourist area but as you walk through the French Quarter, pass by the cathedral, or walk through Jackson square, you don’t feel like you’re walking through a heavily tourist populated area. The city swarms this area in the morning and into the night. Here is where you see the truly unique character of the city. As you talk to locals of the city you realize that they want you to know and want to tell you everything that there is to learn about the city. I have visited cities where locals of the city hate that tourist are in the area but New Orleans is different. The locals make it know that they want you to know about their city and the history of it. They want everyone to know. This has made me enjoy the city and my time here so much more.






















No comments:

Post a Comment

The way NOLA has spoken to me through music

The city is one of kind. The music that you hear playing on the streets shows for that. As I was in New Orleans I never heard two beats of...