We began our morning with a tour of the Saint Louis Cathedral. Walking from the entrance, towards the alter there were rows and rows of wooden pews with a walkway down the middle that separated the church into two sections. The alter had beautiful, soft, velvet looking carpet covering the floor. Looking up at the very front center of the church is a beautiful sculpture. The sculpture looked as if it was created yesterday. A beautiful piece of artwork from the 1800's standing as the main view in a beautiful room.
As you look up, your eyes gaze upon the ceiling covering in art. The artwork looks brand new but is 100's of years old. Gazing around the ceiling you can see stain glass widows and a balcony with pillars holding it up. Off the edges of the balconies are flags raised as symbols for the church, New Orleans, and Louisiana. As you look down at your feet you will see a flat stone floor. I felt so small in church. The ceilings appeared to be thousands of feet tall. Standing at the back of the church you can imagine what it is like to see the church and the rows of pews full of people. As I was leaving the church I turned around and tilted my head all the way back and I could see the clock on the face of the church and soon began to hear the bells ring the song of 10 a.m.
No comments:
Post a Comment