Lafayette Cemetery #1

The first tour we went on today was a cemetery tour. As we were entering the cemetery I expected to be filled with a creepy feeling, getting chills and feeling uncomfortable around the tombs. It was actually the opposite. As we entered there was a calm feeling and it was noticeably warmer within the walls of the cemetery. Some of the tombs were crumbling with bare brick showing and the lettering on the tombs were illegible or completely gone. Other tombs looked like they were just built. The stucco was smooth and no brick was showing. The lettering on the tombs were perfectly legible as if it was carved yesterday. I expected to see garbage, memoirs, and tokens left behind at graves .  it was a very clean area. It was well taken care of. As we walked through I realized there was no pattern to the placements of the tombs. There were no straight lines. Not every "row" had the same amount of tombs and no two tombs looked the same. As I heard that some tombs contained generations of families from the 1800's to current I was overwhelmed, and happy. It is amazing to see the care that is put into keeping families together, after death. It was a cemetery housing thousands of skeletons but it was such a clean, kept together area. As tombs crumbled they were refurbished. The tombs were kept safe and sacred by the four walls surrounding them.



No comments:

Post a Comment

The way NOLA has spoken to me through music

The city is one of kind. The music that you hear playing on the streets shows for that. As I was in New Orleans I never heard two beats of...